- Tell us briefly please the main stages of your professional career and scientific work.
I completed my education at the University of Belgrade; Faculty of Stomatology (1984), Faculty of Medicine (1992), Master of Science (MSc) Thesis (1991), Specialists exam in Maxillofacial Surgery (1993) and Doctorate Thesis (PhD) (1996). I was elected Professor in Maxillofacial surgery (1997) and in Implantology (2002); become a member of Serbian Medical Academy (2006 ), Councillor for Serbia in EACMFS (2006), European AO faculty (2006), President of Balkan Association of Maxillofacial Surgeons (2008-2011), Councillor for Serbia in IAOMS (2012) and Director of Serbian Dental Chamber (2013.)
- When did you decided to immerse into the knowledge and practical solutions of dental implantology?
My interest in implantology started with my visit to Straumann company in 1996. At that time, experimental researches as well as clinical use of conventional and basal implants become my interest.
- What do think about the future of titanium implants?
From my point of view, titanium implants are still leading type of implants, and will continue to be.
- Do you think that in grade 3 cases immediate implantation and fabrication of immediate temporary restoration can lead to a predictable and adequate outcome?
If perfect primary stability could be achieved, I advocate immediate implantation and provisionalisation.
- What solution do you suggest regarding the implantation of patients with severe grade of periodontitis?
In that cases, excellent results could be achieved with polished, bicortically anchored implants which are placed in non-infected basal bone.
- Do you think that further possible methods of navigated implant surgeries will ever be able to substitute the professional knowledge and surgical skills of oral surgeons?
Navigated implant surgery is not a novel method. Actually, the fact it has not been not routinely involved into everyday clinical practice, explain that professional knowledge and surgical skills of oral surgeons couldn’t be replaced.
- Are you in the viewpoint that a significant advancement or turning-point can take place in the field of implantology?
Immediate implantation with immediate loading in patients with a limited bone quantity and quality is the future of implantology. We should try to avoid time consuming and risky bone augmentation procedures as we could achieve predictable immediate function and very good aesthetics using corticobasal implantology.
- What do you pursue for relaxation or recreation in your free time?
The main relaxing time for my is playing tennis.